Sunday, November 18, 2012

Joann Marshall's Coffee Cake

Best Coffee Cake Ever!
(or as one of my favorite little guys calls it, a coffee pie)
 
 
 
     Many years ago, at my wedding shower, one of the things all of the guests had to do was to write their favorite recipe on an index card to start my Recipe Box.  I got everything from a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (this little girl was someone that I babysat for and was their with her mother) to Joann Marchall's Coffe Cake. 
     The shower (and wedding) was in KY and everything was loaded into boxes and shipped to CA and I promptly put them in a safe place that went through 3 moves and lo and behold, 15 years later I discovered them!  As soon as I saw the coffee cake recipe, I knew I had to make one.  I remember them from the Christmas Boutique at church - she always made a bunch of them to donate.

     I whipped up a batch and popped them in the oven and De-li-scious!  I make about 50 of them every Christmas season now - that is what I give to friends and relatives instead of Christmas cards.  The recipe is below - one recipe makes a 11" x "13 pan or (2) 8" round pans.    I usually make 2 batches at a time (4 rounds) when I am doing my Christmas baking.  I buy the foil pans that come 3 in a pack at the dollar store.  When I am making them for us, I still make a double batch and then cut them up and put them in little baggies in the freezer.  Happy Baking!
 
JoAnn Marshall’s Coffee Cake
 
Heat oven to 350 degrees
 Mix until crumbled:
3 Cups flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup margerine or butter, softened
(I use the dough hook on my KitchenAid for this -you want it crumbly!)
 
Take out 1 cup and reserve for topping
Add to remaining crumble mix:
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Grease and flour pan ( either a 9"x13" or 2 – 8" or 9" inch round cake pans).  Pour batter in pan, and drop reserved crumble mix on top.  Bake 40 - 45 minutes @ 350 degrees for round cake pans,
Bake 45 – 50 minutes @ 350 degrees for 9 x 13 cake pan.
This is wonderful for a hostess gift!  The Aluminum 8 or 9 inch round pans are perfect!
Hope this this gets you in the mood - we are heading back to Phoenix this week for Thanksgiving and I have already started my baking!

Happy Stitching!
Vaune

No comments:

Post a Comment