Sunday, February 17, 2013

Monday - Wash Day!

A Recipe for you...........



     I know this has been in my newsletter before, but I am posting this to pinterest, and the easiest way for me to get it there is from my blog!  This recipe was shared by Nancy Balance at convention a few years ago and makes a wonderful laundry detergent.  It uses Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda!, Borax All Natural Laundry Booster, and Fels-Naptha soap.

The proportions are
1 Bar of Fels-Naptha
1/2 cup Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax

I usually make a bunch at a time (6 or 8 bars worth), so I only have to do this twice a year. (Remember that I am almost an empty nester, so not as many clothes to wash!).

You want to get the moisture out of the Fels Naptha, so I unwrap the bars, slice the bars into thirds and then microwave it, 30 seconds at a time, for 3 or 4 minutes.  I let them rest a bit between each 30 second blast.  The soap will kind of start to puff up. 



***It has a strong smell - I actually have an old microwave that someone was getting rid of that I use for this, but if you have a built in, just keep the vent on.***

Once that is done, take it outside (I put mine in the garage, and let it sit until it is cooled off.  Then I run it through a food processor to make fine crumbs. 



Once that is finished, I add the Super Washing Soda and the Borax and I keep mine either in a ziploc bag or an old plastic container with a lid.



Use 2 Tablespoons per load.  If you have a high Efficiency washer, only use 1 teaspoon per load.  You do NOT have to use a fabric softener with this detergent!




    For this load, I used 8 bars of F-N (.97*8=$7.76), 4 cups of Super Washing Soda (about 1/3 of a box at $3.28=$1.10) and 4 cups of Borax (again, about 1/3 of a box at $3.38=$1.13) for a total of $9.90.  Since I only use 2 Tablespoons per load and no fabric softener, this is an economical solution, although that does not factor in my time.  I do like the way it cleans, and I like not having to put the fabric softener in.

Try it and you may just find yourself hooked!

Happy Stitching,
Vaune


No comments:

Post a Comment