Saturday, July 14, 2012

Worse Before Better!


Worse Before Better!

Welcome to my sewing room.............and you are going to watch it evolve!  Many years ago, we added aloft to our house. We had a closet organizing company come in and put drawers and shelves along one wall - it was wonderful!  I have 32 drawers that are all 24 inches wide, 24 inches deep, and between 6 and 12 inches high.  Enougth space to last a lifetime (or so I thought)!  Half of the loft was my John and me - my sewing area and John's desk.  The other half was for the kids - we had their book shelves and game closet in their section.  They played, we worked. 
   The kids got older and spent more time in their rooms on homework.  John started working out ot the house and it was too distracting to have me or the kids in the loft.
     *** I digress a bit here.........our oldest 2, both boys, were diagnosed with ADHD by the time they were in 2nd and 4th grade.  As we were going through the testing and the evaluations and the interviews, my husband looked at me and said, "I think I might have ADHD too!".  Let me just say the apples do not fall far from the tree!***
     I moved my sewing machine into our bedroom and I put my padded lace shaping board on the bed to iron.  My ironing board had been put to a 'better' use and was in the loft filled with laptops that were in all stages of repair.

    Fast forward 10 years!  This fall we may be experienceing ENS (that is empty nest syndrome) for the first time, we have moved my husband's office into one of the bedrooms, and I AM GETTING MY SEWING ROOM BACK!  Of course in order to fo that, I have to take everythign out first, rearrange, move and organize all those things that I have been collecting (half of which I don't even remember).


     You know the saying it has to get worse before it gets better?  Well, I am at the worse stage and hopefull it will be getting better soon!  I have boxes lined up all along my hallway and have some new drawers to hold fat quarters.  I may not have mentioned it, but I have also taken up quilting.  It would be more accurate to say I have taken up buying quilting fabrics, patterns, etc., so that when I get the urge I will be totally ready to start quilting!
     I am posting this so that you can see it can get better and it is also a good incentive for me to get this done!  You will see my progress as I move along and make my workspace livable!
     Check in tomorrow and see some of the too cute fabric that I found while I was in NYC in April.................

Happy Stitching,
Vaune


    
    

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vaune, I look forward to following the transformation of your sewing space.

    ReplyDelete